Electronic filing data can be exported from Tax to the Electronic Filing Status System for all return types except Estate & Gift. The data can then be released from the Electronic Filing Status System to the appropriate taxing authorities. You must have the appropriate permission rights to electronically file returns.
The following is an overview of the Tax Electronic Filing processing.
- Set electronic filing options for your firm and staff.
- Review IRS publications 1345 (Individual) and 4163 (Business).
- Prepare and qualify tax returns or extensions for electronic filing.
- Export tax returns or extensions for electronic filing.
- Obtain authorization form signatures.
- Release tax returns or extensions to taxing authorities.
- Check the filing status.
To view the sequence of tasks involved in the electronic filing process, see the Electronic Filing Workflow.