Return print sets customize the conditions in which documents print for each tax product, tax authority, and copy type. Return print sets can also determine the order in which documents print and suppress the printing of documents. A firm can assign a return print set as the default for an organizational unit (entire firm, office, business, unit, or region) in Firm > Settings and defaults. Tax is installed with a return print set named Default that is selected for the Firm level organizational unit. A firm can change this selection if other return print sets exist.
Once you assign a return print set to an organizational unit, if there is a print set assigned to a lower-level organizational unit, the lower-level setting overrides the settings of the higher-level organizational unit.
Clients are assigned to an office and a business unit in the client profile. A client who is assigned to an organizational unit with a selected return print set inherits that return print set. When creating tax returns for that client, the inherited return print set is selected and cannot be changed or deleted; however, you can override the print defaults during return print.
Documents that can print in a return are:
- Separator sheets
- Federal and state worksheets
- Federal and state schedules
Prior year print sets are rolled forward to the next year. If there is an existing print set with the same name in the next year as in the prior year, the prior year print set is not carried forward. Print set names must be unique within each tax year.
Opening Return Print Sets
To open a return print set, do the following:
- Click Application Links on the Dashboard navigation panel.
- Click Configure > Return print sets under Tax to open the Return Print Sets window.
The Return Print Sets navigation panel displays the default print set and any custom print sets configured for the firm under each installed tax year. When you select a different tax year or print set, you must save the current print set to retain any unsaved changes.
Reviewing New and Deleted Forms
When a new release or a new tax year is installed, forms may be added or deleted.
- New forms. New forms display with red text the first time you open a custom print set after a new release or a new tax year is installed. Red highlighting is applied to your first review only. The second time you display the print set, all forms display in the default font color.
- Deleted forms. Click Deleted Forms on the button bar to display a report of deleted forms from previous releases. The report includes the release number from which each form was deleted, and the return type and tax authority associated with each form. See Reviewing Deleted Tax Forms for more information.
If you have reordered the form positions in a print set, new forms are added in their correct print position, according to the reordering.
Using Return Print Set Features
The list of documents for the selected tax product and tax authority displays in the Form list. In addition to forms, the list can also include statements, reports, correspondence, invoices, separator sheets, worksheets, and schedules.
Select from the following options to manage print sets: