Views define the filters, columns, and sorting information to determine the records and associated data shown in the Returns grid. Return Manager includes the following system-defined views:
- Most recently used. Displays from 1 to 50 of the most recently opened returns, based on the number selected in User Options. See Setting Your Return Manager User Options for more information.
- Current year e-file status. Displays the status of returns that were electronically filed in the current tax year.
The system-defined views are available from the View list located above the Returns grid.
You can create custom views from your Quick Search results. Quick Search is an easy way to define the returns that display in the Return Manager grid by applying values from return component filters. You can also save any custom view as new view.
Your custom views are listed alphabetically below Most recently used and Current year e-file status in the View list.
To create a view, do the following:
- Search for a client ID or name and/or select and apply your desired Quick Search filters.
- Do any of the following to define the grid columns for the view, if needed:
- Column selection. Click the column selection button,, above the Returns grid and add or remove columns, as needed.
- Position. Organize column positions by selecting a column header and dragging it horizontally between two column headers.
- Width. Hover over the right margin of a column and drag the column margin to a new position. You can also double-click to automatically resize the column to fit its contents.
- Sort. Click the down arrow in column headers to sort column contents in ascending or descending order.
- Click Save this View to the right of the Quick Search filters.
- Enter a name for the view of up to 45 characters and a description.
- Click OK.
Editing and Deleting Views
To edit or delete a view, do the following:
- In Return Manager, click Saved Views.
- Do one of the following:
- Click for a specific view and click Delete to confirm.
- Click for a specific view to rename the view or change the filter criteria, column presentation, or sort order. You can then save your changes to the existing view or save it as a new view.
You can create, edit, or modify grid views according to the different functions of your business. Views define the filters, columns, and sorting information to determine the records and associated data shown in a grid.
The following types of views are available:
- Private Views . Views that you create. Private views are visible and available only to the creator.
- Shared Views . Views that can be created by anyone in the firm. Staff must be granted the functional rights to the Shared Views Library. Four functional rights exist for this view. For example, you may have the view and edit permissions but not the add and delete permissions.
- Static Views . Provided by the system and available to all staff. Grid columns can be manipulated and saved for static views; however, static views cannot be changed, renamed, or deleted.
Views are stored in the following panes on the navigation panel:
- Returns > Views. Displays private and static views. You can also create custom folders for categorizing views. Shared views can be added as a private view by right-clicking a views folder and selecting Add Shared View from the menu.
- Shared Views Library. Displays shared views that you have rights to access.
You can create folders for categorizing private and shared views. The folders, sub-folders, and views are located under the private or shared parent folder. The New > Folder command creates a new folder under the selected folder. You can then name your new folder. Folders with the same name can exist as long as they are not under the same parent folder.
Use the commands in the Organize group on the Views tab to cut, copy, and paste existing views. Additional ribbon commands allow you to rename, delete, and define a new name, description, or owner for a view.
Setting a Default View
The Return Manager window in User Options > Tax sets the default grid view that displays when first displaying Returns
You can export views to Microsoft® Excel® so you can use the information for reporting or other purposes. All column headers and contents for all pages that are defined for the view are exported.
You can select the location to save a view on your machine or another network location.
To export a view, do the following:
- Select a view from the View list above the grid.
- Click above the Returns grid.
- Browse to or enter the location for the file.
- Enter a name for the file.
- Click Save. The system saves the file as an XLS type.
After selecting to display a view, records for the view load in the grid. For all views except the Most Recently Used view, when the number of records exceeds a single page, you can move between pages of records using controls located below the grid.
|Click to display the first page of records.|
|Click to display the previous page.|
|Select the page number to display from the list.|
|Click to display the next page.|
|Click to display the last page of records.|
|Select how many records to display per page from the list.|
Your selected number of records per page is retained by the system for all Return Manager views, except the Most Recently Used view. The number of records that display in the Most Recently Used view is configurable in User Options > Tax > Return Manager and can include up to 50 records.
- Display the first, previous, next, or last page.
- Select the page number to display.
- Select how many records to display per page. Your selected number of records per page is retained by the system for all Return Manager views, except the Most Recently Used view. The number of records that display in the Most Recently Used view is configurable in User Options > Tax > Return Manager and can include up to 50 records.
Using Quick Search
Quick Search is an easy way to define the returns that display in the Return Manager grid by specifying values from return component filters. Quick Search settings can then be saved as a new view. Click Returns on the navigation panel and expand Quick Search to display the available filters. See Using Quick Search for more information.
Searching for Records
You can search for records in the following ways:
- The Search box immediately above the grid searches the entire system, not just the current grid page, for specific client IDs, client names, and template names. This feature refreshes the grid, displaying only the records that match your search criteria.
- The Find box in the Grid View group on the Home tab searches the contents of the current page.
See Getting to Know the Return Manager Grid for more information.