Prohibiting Changes and Unlocking Returns
If you have the permission right to edit tax returns, you can lock returns manually by using the Prohibit Changes feature. Other staff are then prevented from editing the locked return so you can finalize or review the return without risk of data changing. However, you can electronically file extensions and purge notes of manually locked returns in Batch Manager.
In addition, the system automatically locks returns in the following situations:
- Returns are open and in use by other staff.
- Returns are being processed in a Batch Manager job.
- Returns were closed unexpectedly by another process, such as a session timeout or server maintenance.
Locked returns display in view-only mode for review purposes. Locked returns cannot be edited, calculated, or recalculated. Locked returns in a consolidated unit cannot be group calculated. Staff can do certain actions that would not cause changes to the tax return, such as exporting data and viewing return history.
Prohibiting Changes (Manual Lock)
To prohibit changes to a return, do one of the following:
- In Return Manager, do the following:
- Select a return from the grid.
- Click Prohibit Changes
in the Manage group on the Home tab. The activity log in return history is updated.
- Prohibit Changes displays in the Read Only column, if that column is selected to display in the grid.
- The activity log in return history is updated.
- From an open return, select Prohibit Changes in the Security group on the Manage tab. The activity log in return history is updated.
The method of unlocking a return depends on whether the return was locked manually or automatically.
Manually Locked Returns
If a return was locked manually, clear Prohibit Changes to enable changes to the return. The activity log in return history is updated.
Automatically Locked Returns
To unlock a return that was locked automatically by the system, do the following:
- Select one or more returns to unlock in the Return Manager grid.
- Select Unlock > In-Use in the Manage group on the Home tab.