You can secure tax returns and backup files with a password of one to eight letters or numbers.
To secure a new return, do the following:
- In Return Manager, select New > Tax Return on the Application menu.
- Enter the mandatory information on the New Tax Return window.
- Click Return security on the navigation panel.
- Enter and confirm a password of one to eight letters or numbers. Special characters (for example, !, @, #, spaces) are not allowed.
- After entering the required information on the Return setup window, click Create.
Securing Backup Files
When you select to back up one or more returns, the Backup Tax Return Files wizard includes the option of protecting the backup file. Before a protected backup file can be restored, you must enter the password. See Backing Up Tax Returns for more information about using the wizard.
Accessing Protected Returns or Backup Files
When you attempt to open a secured return or backup file, do the following:
- Enter a password of one to eight letters or numbers.
- Click OK.