The web-based Electronic Filing Status System® allows you to view and check the status of all your electronically filed returns and release returns to taxing authorities. Diagnostic and support tips in the Electronic Filing Status System explain any rejection codes in clear terms.
The system provides information about e-filing requirements for each state and up-to-the-minute actual or projected release dates by product for each federal and state form, ensuring you are current with IRS e-file compliance. In addition, you can download e-filing instruction guides.
For more information, see Accessing the Electronic Filing Status System.
You can also review the status of electronically filed returns in Return Manager and of electronically filed extensions and state estimates in Batch Manager. The progress of electronically filing is sent from the Electronic Filing Status System to Return Manager and Batch Manager.
- Return Manager. You can display e-file status in the Return Manager grid in the following ways:
- Quick Search filters. Add filters to Quick Search on the navigation panel to search for returns with an electronic filing status for one or more of the following: federal, state, and city returns, and federal extension. If your previously selected view contains columns for e-file status, the status for each return is displayed in the grid. The system retains added filters, so they can be used the next time you log in.
- Most Recently Used view. Click this view on the navigation panel to display returns with a federal and state e-file statuses in the grid.
- Current Year e-file Status view. Click this view on the navigation panel to display federal, state, and city returns, and federal extension e-file statuses in the grid.
- Custom views. Select to filter data in custom views by adding Federal, State, City, FBAR, and Federal Extension e-file Status columns in the grid.
- Batch Manager. Filter the Batch Manager grid by the e-File Extensions and Specialized State job types to display the progress of return extensions and estimates that are electronically filed. The current status displays in the Job Status column.