You can split an Individual return with a status of Married Filing Jointly into separate returns for the taxpayer and spouse. The joint return remains with the original input. Each of the split returns has a status of Married Filing Separately.
To split a joint return, do the following:
- Open the joint return you want to split. Verify the Spouse Social Security Number is entered in the return and that the return has been calculated.
- Click in the Activity group on the Manage tab.
- Click Yes to confirm splitting the return.
Do one of the following:
- First split. If this is the first time the return has been split, enter the client ID and, if applicable, sub-ID for the spouse return. You can enter the client ID of the joint return, provided there are fewer than 9 existing versions in the tax year for that ID.
- Previously split. If this is not the first time the return has been split, select to overwrite the previously split returns or to create a new return version, and then click OK. A client can have up to nine versions in a tax year.
- When the split is complete, you have the following two options for ending the process:
- Click Print Report to document the split and end the process. Explain what is in the report.
- Click Close to end the process without printing the report.
Original Return Taxpayer Return Spouse Return Names Taxpayer name Taxpayer name Spouse name Client: Version Client ID and version Client ID and version Spouse client ID and version SSN Taxpayer SSN Taxpayer SSN Spouse SSN FS Married filing jointly Married filing separately Married filing separately