Searching for Returns and Templates
In Return Manager, you can search for records in several ways.
- Client Search. The Search box immediately above the Return Manager grid searches the entire system, not just the current grid page, for specific client IDs or taxpayer names. This feature refreshes the grid, displaying only the records that match your search criteria.
- Find. The Find command in the Grid View group on the Home tab searches all grid columns, not just names and IDs. But, Find only searches the current grid page. This feature selects the rows containing content that matches your search criteria.
- Quick Search. Quick Search filters can be expanded on the Return Manager navigation panel to search the entire system, not just the current grid contents, for tax return criteria other than client ID or name. See Using Quick Search for more information about this feature.
To search the Tax system for a client name or ID, do the following:
- In the Search box, enter the complete criteria to search for specific client IDs or names, or enter partial information to search for similar matches in a client ID or name.
- Press Enter or click to locate an item.
If only one return or template matches the criteria you entered, that return or template opens in the Tax window. If more than one return or template is found, the grid refreshes, displaying the return or template information that matches or contains a match to your search criteria.
- To further refine the records displayed in the grid, click in any column header and select a value. Your filter selection is retained for all return searches. Filter selection is not retained for template searches.
If your search results span across multiple pages, consider the following:
- Filter list values are defined by the data on the current page. For example, if only Individual returns are listed on a page, no other type is included in the filter list for the Return Type column on that page.
- Column filters are applied to the current page only.
- Column filters are available only for client search results.
To search all grid columns in the current grid view for complete or partial criteria, do the following:
- Click in the Grid View group on the Home tab to display the Find window.
- Enter the complete criteria to search for specific records or partial information to search for similar matches.
- Click Find Next to select the first or next instance of your criteria in the grid. To search for another item, enter new criteria in the Find box and click Find Next.
- Click Cancel to close the Find window.