Attaching PDF Files for Electronic Filing
Some return types require that you attach supporting documents as PDF files when you electronically file a return. You can attach the PDF files using the Federal > General > Electronic Filing worksheet. The PDF files are embedded in the return so that you can view them any time you access the return.
To attach a PDF to a return for electronic filing, do the following:
- Review the IRS and DOL requirements for required PDF attachments.
- Open the return to be electronically filed.
- Open one of the Federal > General > Electronic Filing worksheet sections below.
- If needed, double-click the Code field and select the applicable attachment code. If you are attaching a required PDF, the file name is automatically entered in the Attachment Name field. If the PDF is optional, enter the IRS or DOL attachment name.
- Double-click a blank PDF File Name box or, for Exempt Organization, Attachment Location box.
- On the Attach File window, select to browse to a PDF from one of the following locations, and then click Continue:
- Select Document to locate available PDFs that are stored for the client in Document.
- Select My device to locate PDFs that are saved on your machine or device.
- Browse to and select the PDF to attach, and then click Open. If you are attaching a Document PDF, the files for the return tax year display by default, if available, but you can browse to another Document location, if needed.
- Select other applicable information in the PDF Attachments section, such as FS and State codes. Specific information for states that use the FS and State boxes is included in the states' instructions.
- To attach another PDF,
clickat the top of the section, and then complete steps 4 - 7.
- Save the return.
|Return Type||PDF Attachment Sections on Worksheet Federal > General > Electronic Filing|
Section 9 - PDF Attachments
Section 7 - PDF Attachment - Required
Section 8 - PDF Attachment - Optional
|Partnership||Section 7 - PDF Attachments|
|Corporation, S Corporation||
Section 6 - PDF Attachments
Section 6 - PDF Attachments - Specific Forms
|Employee Benefit Plan||Section 2 - PDF Attachments|
Refer to the following topics for information about PDF file requirements and viewing PDF files that are attached to a return:
About PDF Attachments in Electronically Filed Returns